Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I need to borrow Superman...

Allright, this is long-ish so bear with me...

Next week is I-Con (the Israeli Sci-Fi, Fanatsy, Comic, Gaming convention, we basically only have one of these so everything get encompassed into one place, it's basically our Comic-Con, Wizard World, E3, etc. sans major announcements).

Every year they bring one "Guest of Honor" to the convention. Last year came Gabriel something-or-other, so not very impressive (though, they did manage to snag Orson Scott Card a couple years back, but I'm not a fan...).

Anyways rumors have been circulating as to who will come this year, and several weeks back it was confirmed - Neil Gaiman is coming. Joyness abound, as Neil is my favorite living author (Douglas Adams is my all-time favorite). So naturally, I would've sold my soul to get anywhere Neil will be (the Guest of Honor at the Con usually gives a lecture or two at the Con). So it was announced that Neil will be giving 3 "lectures". One about Dreams (the "theme" of the Con), one will be a Q&A and the last will be him reading from his own work. I got tickets for the first two (can't go to the last one due to previous obligations) early on and grinned to myself.

Then over the weekend I find about a fourth, previously unpublished activity featuring Gaiman. A writing workshop. Yep. Neil Gaiman is giving a writing workshop here in Israel. So I'm sitting on nails the entire weekend and all of today (the ticket-order center opens at 4 pm). Come 4:01, I get on the phone for 1 and half hours, straight. I can't get through. Naturally, I'm getting more and more pissed. And then It's time to call it a day and go home. 1 wasted hour of commuting. I get home and still can't get through. At 6:45 I finally manage to get through and..... no tickets left.

This sucks.

So if anyone's got Superman's number, I need to turn back time...

No comments: